Seriously, this is the real deal, delicious and grain-free. Low carb and keto-friendly and provide protein too. The recipe makes 6 small to medium bagels and is very filling.
The left bowl in the picture contains mozzarella cheese, and it is how it should look, smooth, after microwaving for 30 seconds 3 times and mixing it well. I just used a silicone spatula to combine. It works wonders.
Moving on to the bowl on the right with the almond flour, eggs, and whey protein. You can choose to mix the dough with your hands, as I did, or you can place all ingredients in the food processor and let it do the work. The dough will be sticky. I suggest using a little bit of avocado oil to ease the creative rolling process so you don’t fall into the sticky trap.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, whey protein powder and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Melt in the microwave at full power in 30 second intervals. After each 30 seconds, stir cheese until cheese is completely melted and uniform. In total you will microwave 3 times. Do not try to microwave for the full 1 1/2 minute the cheese will harden. You can also melt the cheese over the stove in a double boiler.
- Add cheese, 1 egg and almond flour mixture into a food processor with dough blade attachment. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky, which is normal (use some oil) or you can use manual labor and just mix well with a silicon spatula and your hands.
- Shape them into a log then make a circle and place them on the baking sheet. Place the bagels 2 inch apart. I usually use to baking sheets and place 3 bagels on each
- Add the final egg to a bowl and whisk. Generously brush surface of bagels with egg wash. Add bagel toppings on top at this time, as they will stick to the bagel.
- Bake bagels for about 15 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until bagels are golden brown. Cool them on the rack before you start enjoying them.